Re: LLVM

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: LLVM
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 14:12:49 +0100

Hi,

actually I asked Nicola about LLVM on FOSDEM ;-) License issues aside, I also think that it sounds very promising.

First, I dislike this perspective:
---snip---
but this is not a convincing alternative - the license seems designed to abuse contributors.
---snap---
This is kinda ridiculous since the whole clang thing was provided by the LLVM 'sponsors' (aka Apple ;-). And if Apple releases the ObjC frontend too (it looks like they do), it would be quite awesome. And honestly, how much did we 'contribute' to GCC ObjC in the last few years? Nothing, really!
And its not that the GCC people actually like us ;-)

So if we can produce a new and better GNUstep compiler on top of LLVM, why not? As long as we are free to use it, I don't really care whether Apple grabs changes (couldn't we also put restrictions on that, BTW?!). And honestly, I don't think we would provide that many interesting things ... It would be most certainly the other way around, we would grab the Apple ObjC work and just reuse it for our purposes. I think the important thing is that Apple can't take us away the license. If they fork again, their choice.

I guess it would be very much like WebKit. Apple releases the whole thing and plenty of FOSS projects benefit a lot from it. Sure, they'll still have their own little secrets kept back, but this doesn't lower the overall value for the community.

Finally: I do not think that we can get away with it that easily. As everyone knows there is Objective-C 2.0, and GNUstep do esnot support it. Which is a major reason why I personally slowed down my 'investment' into ObjC. (an environment separate to Cocoa is pretty much like using the 'objc' compiler from David Stes ;-) I have no idea when the GNU runtime and GNU GCC will support a compatible alternative. ObjC 2.0 has been around for 12 months? and no one worked on it. Hence I have very little hopes on this :-(
(I talked a bit about GC with Richard at FOSDEM, but we'll see ...)

Greets,
  Helge

PS: the most convincing argument against LLVM I've heard so far is the target platform issue. Thats a pretty serious one.

--
Helge Hess
http://www.helgehess.eu/