Re: LLVM

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: LLVM
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 19:07:11 +0100 (CET)

>> If Apple will always be nice to the community, why don't they change
>> the license to explicitly say so ? :-)
>
> It does explicitly say so.  The code is Free.  Apple can not close
> it.  They can close a fork of it at a future date, but that is
> unlikely to happen because a lot of people outside Apple are working
> on LLVM and they would lose access to all of those developers if they
> did.

They could also fork it, and keep their fork private.  Every 6 months,
they merge the mainstream changes into their fork, but never open up
their fork.  So they get your improvements, but you don't get theirs.
They have been doing exactly this with GCC for years! :-)

The difference is that with GCC they have to release their source code
when they ship the binaries, so you get a change to see their changes
and if you want you can merge them back into mainstream yourself.  With
a BSD-like license, they could keep them (or some of them) in their own
tree forever. :-(

Anyway, I understand you see it in a different way.  Good luck with your
new Objective-C runtime/compiler, and keep us up to date with your progress :-)

Thanks