Window managers ( was Re: newbie question )

From: Pete French
Subject: Window managers ( was Re: newbie question )
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 23:25:26 +0100

> As you noticed, GWorkspace is not a windowmanager. GNUstep is capable of
> handling almost everything (it can even draw the window decorations by
> itself) but it neesd a window manager currently.

Once upon a time I remember someone extracting the guts of a window
manager into a bundle so that any app could act as one. What became
of that idea ? It would be very nice indeed if Gworkspace could
act as a window manager too, and that would preseumably enable us
to fix all out focus problems, and not have to have it co-operating with
WindowMaker in a way that seems to almost work right, but sometimes does odd
things.

How tricky is a X window manager anyway ? If GNustep is doing all the
decoration itself, plus providing a dock, then surely a very basic one
would suffice. That one which used to come with X back in the 80's (twm?)
that cant have been too big.

-pete.