Re: Window managers ( was Re: newbie question )

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Window managers ( was Re: newbie question )
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 07:28:28 +0800

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk> wrote:
>> As you noticed, GWorkspace is not a windowmanager. GNUstep is capable of
>> handling almost everything (it can even draw the window decorations by
>> itself) but it neesd a window manager currently.
>
> Once upon a time I remember someone extracting the guts of a window
> manager into a bundle so that any app could act as one. What became
> of that idea ? It would be very nice indeed if Gworkspace could
> act as a window manager too, and that would preseumably enable us
> to fix all out focus problems, and not have to have it co-operating with
> WindowMaker in a way that seems to almost work right, but sometimes does odd
> things.
>
> How tricky is a X window manager anyway ? If GNustep is doing all the
> decoration itself, plus providing a dock, then surely a very basic one
> would suffice. That one which used to come with X back in the 80's (twm?)
> that cant have been too big.

  There is an window manager, Azalea, ported to GNUstep
  from OpenBox 3.0 in Etoile project.
  It works, but has memory leak. And I just don't have time to fix it.
  You can play with it if you want.
  I am also watching a new window manager called i3.
  It is written in XCB, a supposed replacement for xlib.
  XCB should be faster than xlib and can use cairo as backend.
  But it is still at very early stage.

  Regards

  Yen-Ju