Re: Adopt a platform today!

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Adopt a platform today!
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 01:44:08 +0000

On 21 Feb 2011, at 22:39, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ON FreeBSD/ia32
>
> 5478 Passed tests
>  18 Failed tests
>   5 Skipped sets
>   1 Dashed hope

On the same platform with ICU installed, I get:

5589 Passed tests
   3 Failed tests
   3 Dashed hopes
   1 Skipped set

The skipped test appears to be caused by a bug in configure finding OpenSSL and
then refusing to use it.

The failures are:

--- Running tests in base/NSCalendarDate ---

test01.m:
Failed test:     test01.m:45 ... 12:00am is midnight

This one is weird - it parses 12:00am as 12:00pm.  Not especially interested in
spending time fixing this because NSCalendarDate is a deprecated API and we now
have implementations of the more sane classes that replace it (many thanks
again to Stef for that).

--- Running tests in base/NSTimeZone ---

use.m:
Failed test:     use.m:58 ... Correctly localizes DST time zone name
Expected 'Brasilia Summer Time' and got 'Brasilia Time'
Failed test:     use.m:62 ... Correctly localizes short DST time zone name
Expected 'GMT-02:00' and got 'GMT-03:00'

This looks like this is an ICU bug.  It seems to be ignoring the DST part of
the request.  If I change America/Sao_Paulo to Europe/London, then it returns
the correct values (the tests fail, because they're expecting the San Paulo
versions).  Does this pass for other people?  It's slightly weird, because the
subsequent tests (which check the daylight saving offset for this time zone)
are all passing.

Upgrading to ICU 4.6 (I was on 4.4), I now get three fails here:
Failed test:     use.m:54 ... Correctly localizes short time zone name
Expected 'GMT-03:00' and got 'BRT'
Failed test:     use.m:58 ... Correctly localizes DST time zone name
Expected 'Brasilia Summer Time' and got 'Brasilia Time'
Failed test:     use.m:62 ... Correctly localizes short DST time zone name
Expected 'GMT-02:00' and got 'BRT'

If I change this to Europe/London again, the two that expect GMT offsets now
still get the short name (GMT / BST), but it does correctly respect DST, so I
think this failure is specific to Brasilia Time.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of the new ICU code is using variable names
that start with underscores.  The C standard specifically reserves identifiers
that start with an underscore for the implementation, and any C compiler is
completely at liberty to reject them or interpret them as something completely
random without deviating from the spec, so we really should be using them in
GNUstep, and especially not for things that are not exported as symbols.

This includes instance variables, by the way - we use them in quite a few
places, which is very bad and something that we should avoid.  If something
needs to avoid conflicts with other code, use gs_ as the prefix, not _.

David