Re: GUI API reference for gnuStep

From: Charles Philip Chan
Subject: Re: GUI API reference for gnuStep
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 15:30:09 -0400

Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> writes:

> There is some overlap between WindowMaker and GWorkspace features: the
> dock, the tabbed shelf, the Clip and the "Fiend".

I disagree with the tabbed shelf, there is really no counterpart in
WindowMaker.

> Currently I disable GWorkspace's dock, although of course it has the
> important capability of interacting with documents like the Mac
> counterpart.

Same here. I prefer the WindowMaker over the GWorkspace's. Plus there
are so many dockapps for WindowMaker.

> About the Clip / Fiend I am undecided, I don't use that feature much
> and I even disable both sometimes.

I prefer WindowMaker's clip over the Fiend in GWorkspace for several
reasons:

(1) Non-GNUStep apps doesn't need to wrapped in an app wrapper.

(2) Although I don't have this problem, but for people with small
    screens the "auto-attract" feature is good for saving screen space
    at the bottom.

I tend to use the clip for monitoring and system apps (such as a more
featureful mixer than wmmixer) to save space for the appicons and
miniwindows of major programs.

Charles

--
"...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly)."