Re: GUI API reference for gnuStep

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: GUI API reference for gnuStep
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 09:05:01 +0700

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@bell.net> wrote:
> Banlu Kemiyatorn <object@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> GNOME _has_ a window manager, was that Sawmill/Sawfish at the time?
>
> Of course it does. I do believe it was Sawfish at that time.
>
>> WMaker was suggested to be the official GNOME WM by the GNU-GNU
>> policy,  it was that that was really make no sense.
>
> OK. Of course this make no sense, since the philosophy of Gnome and
> WMaker are totally different. However, I still don't understand why
> Alfred, Dan and you feel that you guys are competing with Gnome and not
> just continued. After all, a lot of the old window managers are still in
> development, such as Fluxbox, Sawfish, FVWM, Enlightenment, etc.

One problem was that the look and feel of WMaker. While it is amazing,
its NeXT- fetishism is not what the mass want. I have been thinking
hard of how to get its modern design along with the new cliches of the
post-modern world. Not that we didn't try to compete, Alfredo worked
harder to compete than anyone but GNUstep which is the only tool we
suppose to use to make a real competition at the time was not so
ready. If it were as good as it is these days we would have won. But
the competition is still going on, and I am still hear fighting, I am
still wearing this t-shirt with Alfredo's face on it, ie. a real
t-shirt that actually has Alfredo's face on it (let me know if I need
to prove this with a photo) as it it now my default pajamas.

--
    .----.     Banlu Kemiyatorn
  \/      \/   http://groundzerostudiocomplex.blogspot.com (Studio Research)