Re: ANN: One Step to GNUstep - pre-release version 0.9

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: ANN: One Step to GNUstep - pre-release version 0.9
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:49:31 +0200

Hi,
Well, if the system is targeted at new users who are not experienced with the platform, shipping the native compiler
of the platform is the best choice, because that means that compiler is very
well integrated with the environment
and provides a smooth, native experience.  On GNU/Linux systems, that means
GCC.  On newer versions of *BSD it may
mean clang, so in that case it may make technical sense to ship clang.  On
GNU/Linux it definitely makes more technical
sense to ship GCC as the default compiler, so that users are guaranteed to get the
"It just works" experience. ;-)

Exactly, On Linux. BSD people strive for something (better and/or different) since a long time. So although this whole thing resembles a rant, David has a valid point. Exactly as you have too.
Then there is the point that, if all that matters is the technical "feature
parity" with Apple, then buy an Apple; why bother
with GNUstep.

Hurrah. It's like people compaling that linux is not as Windows. If you want an Apple, buy an Apple. I want GNUstep to be different than Apple in the things that I dislike... and on par on on things which Ilike.
And why not GNUstep can have extensions too.

Could you please file a bug at apple?
- they don't support PPC!
- their windows support is crap...
- they break things at will with every new release
- the interface is cluttered, geeky and unprofessional and keeps changing as soon as you have learned the old one
- where are their servers and their server support?
- WebObjects is Java now!
- etc etc etc

GNUstep is not just about technical feature parity; it's also and mostly about
software freedom.  It's a GNU/FSF project,
and for many people in the project using a GNU/FSF compiler is important, more
important than having some small
additional feature.

This is philosphilcal, but it is valid.

There are many rumors that Apple wants to abandon obj-c all together. Shall we too?

Riccardo