Re: ANN: One Step to GNUstep - pre-release version 0.9

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: ANN: One Step to GNUstep - pre-release version 0.9
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:26:37 +0200

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 13:53, Nicola Pero <nicola.pero@meta-innovation.com> wrote:
Putting down one compiler (or another), an OS (or another) or whatever disappoints part
of our base of users or developers.  As our base is not very large, we can't afford that.

Personally, I'm an inclusionist. Don't dump stuff unless they introduce significant burden for maintenance. Neither clang nor gcc appear to have any significant issues in the latest version.

If supporting, for example, gcc 2.95 introduces maintenance burden, significantly slowing down the development for the latest versions of the compiler while having a very small interested user base, it may be worth discussing whether it's worth supporting. Is that the case? I have no idea.

But, why keep discussing stuff like this under an announcement thread for an excellent, future-oriented project? If anything, new features of this project should be discussed here, not maintenance of existing features and compatibility of GNUstep.

I suggest ending the discussion here and optionally starting a new one.
--
Ivan Vučica
ivan@vucica.net