Re: ANN: One Step to GNUstep - pre-release version 0.9

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: ANN: One Step to GNUstep - pre-release version 0.9
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:53:53 +0100

> I'm not certain that morale is best served by putting another project
> down due to the decision to use an obviously superior compiler as was
> done earlier in this thread.

The most successful route has historically been the one of being "inclusive".
That means
supporting all the compilers, runtimes, operating systems and whatever people
want to use.

Putting down one compiler (or another), an OS (or another) or whatever
disappoints part
of our base of users or developers.  As our base is not very large, we can't
afford that.

As an example, as far as I know none of us is a fan of Microsoft Windows, or
would normally
even use it and certainly not recommend it; many of us would strongly
disapprove of it in
private.  Yet we maintain GNUstep running on Microsoft Windows and indeed it is
one of the
primary targets.

The same should happen with compilers; most of us have views on what compiler
should be used (due to licensing, or because one is "an obviously superior
compiler",
or for some other reason) but we should try to support all the major ones in a
good-will
way, giving users the choice.  That also gives all of us more choice in the
future; as
compilers are large projects and in many ways outside of our control.  Having
choice
makes our project a more resilient project in the face of future changes.

Thanks