Re: GNUstep on 10.7

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUstep on 10.7
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 12:54:10 -0400

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald
<richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk> wrote:
[SNIP]
> Hi Greg, I think you misread the original post in this thread ...

I realized I did soon after I hit "send" but it was already too late
at that point.

> The original question was about using libPerformance on OSX (one of a few
> libraries I've written. ad a few others have contributed to, primarily for
> server process work, and contributed to the FSF).
> This was not about using the GNUstep core libraries.
>
> Now you might well want to use libPerformance with the Apple Foundation if
> you want to write a better program on Cocoa, since it contains functionality
> Apple don't provide.
>
> In fact, you might well want to build base with the Apple Foundation (in
> which case it should just build the base additions library) for the extra
> classes we provide which are not available normally on OSX.
>
> And of course, if you want to build these libraries for use on OSX, would
> also want to install gnustep-make (to build them).
>
> So in fact there are good technical reasons to want to build most parts of
> GNUstep on OSX even if you intend to use the Apple native runtime and
> Foundation frameworks, and this is what the original poster was asking about.
>
> I don't own a copy of OSX 10.7, but perhaps I should buy one in order to port
> at least the non-gui parts of GNUstep to it.

Yes, I understand and that does make perfect sense.

I had originally thought that the purpose was to get core working on
10.7 which I didn't see the point of even though I wouldn't object to
it.  Apologies for the misunderstanding on my part.

Later, GC
--
Gregory Casamento - GNUstep Lead/Principal Consultant, OLC, Inc.
(240)274-9630 (Cell)