Re: Please remove NFMake from GNA

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Please remove NFMake from GNA
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:02:10 +0100

On 10 Oct 2011, at 14:47, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

>> The source was written by me and has never been assigned, yet it sites on
>> the FSF subversion servers marked as being the property of the FSF.  I have
>> not assigned copyright to the source to the FSF, yet many of the source
>> files have been changed to say that they are copyright FSF.
>
> Just for my curiosity - how did a copy come to the FSF server?
> Di someone steal your code and upload it? Violating a licence
> on the original server?
>
> There is also a svn log that you can take to find out who did change
> the copyright in your files. I think it is not anonymously done. Then,
> ask the person who did it why he/she did it.

Interesting thought ... I just checked on the svn server  at
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/gnustep/tools/nfmake/trunk/ApplicationStyle.h?view=markup&pathrev=6233

This says the initial revision (11 years ago)  was by someone called 'karl' and
already said the copyright was assigned to the FSF.
Perhaps Karl gave someone access to his account to commit it for him, and they
added the copyright due to some misunderstanding?  Or perhaps Karl committed it
himself and forgot?  I certainly can't remember what *I* did in detail after 11
years, so I expect that's quite possible too.

The change to GPL3 was by Greg a few years ago ... as code in the repository
generally was changed from version 2 to 3 a few years ago after discussion on
the mailing lists.  This seems a perfectly reasonable administrative operation
on his part, given that the code was identified as copyright FSF and part of
the GNUstep project (and he'd even consulted the mailing list).