Re: Voting: do you want to move to git?

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Voting: do you want to move to git?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:07:32 -0500

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
<hns@goldelico.com> wrote:

> Hm.
> Do we want a rock solid system to work with (hint: there are enough bugs and
> omissions in the code) or do we want to turn GNUstep an experiment for
> alternate VCS (which may reveal unknown bugs)?

Yes, indeed.  We don't want to turn GNUstep into an experiment for any
such thing, but what I personally do want is a good solution which
helps us avoid the existing problem in the future.

To address Richard's concern, I think what's prudent in any case is to
have two "authoritative" repos.  One on whichever server we chose to
go to and another which is synced with that one on a per-commit basis.
  This way we always have a fallback position if the first one fails.

> My philosophy: use the most mature tool you can get. This is rarely the
> latest one but also not the oldest one. It is often the most widely used one.
> Then, you can concentrate on your own problems and don't have to fix the
> tools every now and then.

This makes sense to me.  It rules out both fossil and SVN, however.

> Nikolaus

GC
--
Gregory Casamento