Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-07-07

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-07-07
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 15:44:56 +0200

Hi Ivan,

On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 02:37:26PM +0200, Ivan Vučica wrote:
> I'm interested in what broke with CoreBase/Opal/QuartzCore?

CoreBase compilation failed with the following message (I haven't
looked at it, I'm lazy...) and Opal and QuartzCore depend on
CoreBase.

Making all for library libgnustep-corebase...
cd .; \
        /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/mkinstalldirs
./obj/libgnustep-corebase.obj/
gcc CFArray.c -c \
              -MMD -MP -DGNUSTEP -DGNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY=1 -DGNU_RUNTIME=1
-DGNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY=1 -pthread -pthread -fPIC -Wall -DGSWARN -DGSDIAGNOSE
-Wno-import -g -O2 -DBUILDING_SELF -I../Headers -I.
-I/usr/local/include/GNUstep -I/usr/include/GNUstep \
               -o obj/libgnustep-corebase.obj/CFArray.c.o
In file included from ../Headers/CoreFoundation/CFBase.h:52:0,
                 from ../Headers/CoreFoundation/CFRuntime.h:30,
                 from CFArray.c:27:
/usr/include/GNUstep/GNUstepBase/GSVersionMacros.h:208:2: warning: #import is a
deprecated GCC extension [-Wdeprecated]
In file included from CFArray.c:30:0:
../Headers/CoreFoundation/CFString.h:192:3: error: unknown type name
'CFLocaleRef'
../Headers/CoreFoundation/CFString.h:457:51: error: unknown type name
'CFLocaleRef'
../Headers/CoreFoundation/CFString.h:478:50: error: unknown type name
'CFLocaleRef'
../Headers/CoreFoundation/CFString.h:502:50: error: unknown type name
'CFLocaleRef'
In file included from CFArray.c:31:0:
GSPrivate.h:314:31: error: unknown type name 'CFLocaleRef'
make[5]: *** [obj/libgnustep-corebase.obj/CFArray.c.o] Error 1

> Also, did you post information on how you produce these packages? I
> recommend them whenever someone asks, but it'd be more fun to have
> them include clang and libobjc2, and be built with clang/libobjc2; so
> if I go about packaging like that, it'd be helpful if I did not have
> to start from scratch :-)

Yeah, I should document this someday but it's still quite ugly.

Basically, I took the debian/ folders of existing packages and put
them in my (svn|cvs) checkouts when I could and built some debian/
folders from scratch. Building is done with pbuilder and some
scripting. I still have to take a look at deb-o-matic to see if it
could serve my purpose.

I'd like to provide packages based on libobjc2 and clang but I'm not
sure how. clang is a fast moving target and I would probably need to
package its latest version to offer all functionalities. When I have
some time...

Off topic : clang is probably a great compiler, offering vastly superior
functionalities that everyone should use in their projects unless they
want to be publicly mocked and all that, but gnustep still supports
gcc AFAIK

Thanks,
Philippe
--
Smoking is, as far as I'm concerned, the entire point of being an adult. Fran
Lebowitz