Re: display UTF-8 characters

From: Nerijus Baliunas
Subject: Re: display UTF-8 characters
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 01:37:40 +0300

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 12:28:24 -0600 Eric Wasylishen <ewasylishen@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the info, looks like those are the latest releases of gui/back and
> you're using the recommended backend (cairo), which is good. AFAIK it should
> be using fontconfig to find system fonts and "mknfonts" will not have any
> effect. As well, we use fontconfig to automatically find fallback fonts, so
> setting a particular font with "defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSFont "DejaVu
> Sans"" should not be necessary.

I did "defaults delete NSGlobalDomain NSFont" now just in case.

> Couple more questions:
>
> - Is it that typing Š, š, ė doesn't work, or are these strings coming from a
> calendar server and don't show up? Do you get "glyph not found" boxes or
> nothing shows up? Could you post a screenshot?

Typing in SimpleAgenda works, I can see the letters. I don't get "glyph not
found" boxes or anything suspicious.
Screenshot attached.

> - Could you give the "Ink" application a try (in the gnustep-examples
> package) and see if you can copy and paste Š, š, ė from a non-GNUstep
> application into Ink?

Yes, I can see, enter and paste Lithuanian characters in Ink app.  Screenshot
attached.

image/apple-ios-png

image/apple-ios-png