Re: Retreive installed gnustep version

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Retreive installed gnustep version
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:47:16 +0100

Hi,

David Chisnall wrote:
This shouldn't be true, if they install -make from the packages too.  In the
FreeBSD case, if you install the core GNUstep packages from, uh, packages, then
you will be able to compile things with the same compile flags and so on that
we do - the other packages are all built using the gnustep-make package.
I don't know if "make" supports debian-style "splitting". Here we are speaking of a greater change than just setting the "layout" and the "prefix" settings.

As a somewhat related question, I am pondering whether it makes sense for
FreeBSD to switch to installing all packaged applications in the System domain,
so that Local is free for installed-from-source things, and it becomes trivial
to revert to the system-provided stuff by just blowing away the Local domain.
I think it makes sense. Although GNUstep would say "System" are system-related applications and "Local" local to the machine, I think it is a choice that would amke things more manageable for the user who wants to mix apps, grossly remapping "/usr" and Local to "/usr/local"

I wonder what the opinion of others on this topic is, Gregory, Richard, Nicola....

Riccardo