Re: [GSoC] Make WebKit run on top of GNUstep

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Make WebKit run on top of GNUstep
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2017 08:15:08 -0400

CoreBase is no longer a wrapper around Base. As it stands, it can be built as a standalone, pure-C library. I had to make this change a few years ago in order to actually make it more compatible. I plan on keeping it this way for a few reasons.

I haven't looked at Microsoft's implementation. I haven't looked at Swift, so I would need to learn that language before doing so.

On Apr 4, 2017 03:53, "David Chisnall" <David.Chisnall@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
On 4 Apr 2017, at 01:46, Stefan Bidigaray <stefanbidi@gmail.com> wrote:

> As the mostly missing-in-action maintainer of CoreBase, I am very excited to hear a GSoC student interested in GNUstep. I started CoreBase exactly because it was mentioned many time on this list as a pre-requisite for a WebKit port, so it's really good to hear someone willing to put the time in.
>
> If you haven't had a chance to look at the CoreBase code, yet, I can tell you it's been sitting for the last 2 years with little-to-no commits. That being said, I would be glad to help point you in the right direction anyway I can. Despite my lack of participation recently, I still keep a fairly comprehensive to-do list. I'll do my best to support you in any way I can.

It might also be worth looking at the Microsoft version of CoreFoundation.  They ported SwiftFoundation, which is permissively licensed, and replaced their earlier approach that wrapped Objective-C in C (as CoreBase does).  I’ve not looked at the code, but when I was in Redmond a couple of weeks ago the Islandwood team were much happier with their new version than the old.

David