Re: GNUstep Live on OSnews

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUstep Live on OSnews
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 21:32:10 +0200

Hi.

Fred, thanks a lot for your Linux OBS work: it is also useful as a build test.

On 31/07/2017 19:05, Xavier Brochard wrote:
That's why a little how-to is necessary!
It would start with
For a good experience try with
- freeBSD
- Fedora
- SuSE
- forget Debian and derivative

Install this
Configure this and this

Well... "debian and derivatives" are not "bad". They are an excellent environment where to build GNUstep packages out of the box, everything provided is of good quality. Only the official debian packages are not to be used to showcase us (incompleteness, oldness and weird configuration). GNUstep builds on RaspbianARM (debian derivative) very smoothly and I use GNUstep on PPC with Debian. The same goes for Ubuntu on x86. All dependencies provided, then you need do configure and build and all is smooth.

we are now going more into the marketing and wishlist direction of discussion...

Riccardo

Riccardo