Re: Boiling the Oceans [was Re: GNUstep Live on OSnews]

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Boiling the Oceans [was Re: GNUstep Live on OSnews]
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 22:34:35 +0000

That hack would result in integrating with dbus-menu.

We'd want some GNUstep app that draws global menus published via dbus-menu, and we'd also want our apps publish menus via dbus-menu.

Gtk and Qt apps, as well as Firefox and Java, have already been taught how to publish stuff on dbus-menu, so they would integrate well with our environment. And vice versa, our apps would integrate with Unity's (and others'?) global menus.

Niels has worked on this as part of DBusKit:
https://github.com/gnustep/libs-dbuskit/tree/master/Bundles/DBusMenu

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 9:21 PM Steven R. Baker <steven@stevenrbaker.com> wrote:

On 31/07/17 10:19 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 31 July 2017 at 21:58, Steven R. Baker <steven@stevenrbaker.com> wrote:
>> Firefox's UI is highly configurable, so I think it can be made to look
>> "close enough". But you're right, Firefox looking firefox-y means it won't
>> be a stumbling block for people. We can ignore the web browser issue now,
>> and maybe in the future get a new WebKit port.
> What I have previously suggested was something of a quick-and-dirty hack:
>
> Take the code Ubuntu wrote and published to integrate Firefox with the
> Unity desktop, and repurpose it to make Firefox display GNUstep style
> menus & icon and so on instead.
Excellent idea! Please do this!

-Steven