Re: GNUstep and valgrind

From: amon
Subject: Re: GNUstep and valgrind
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 01:31:10 -0500

Richard:

Thanks. I will look at that.

And btw, to the person who suggested @autorelease... I was
certain it would not compile, but I tried it anyway. Needless
to say, it did not compile.

I did try coding
 p=[NSAutoreleasePool new]; do something; [p release];
and in some cases it seemed to help. In others it did not.
I'll be digging deeper tomorrow and I will give the macros
you suggested a try.

If nothing else, I am getting a much better handle on how and
when memory gets sucked up.

A question on NSHost then. If NSHost essentially returns a
cache of something like what NeXT used to call Class Objects,
like the old Printer Class that always returned the same
object (A technique I still use for something btw) then that
would be less troubling. But to be clear, If I create an NSHost
for "10.0.0.1" in one place in the code, and then some entirely
other area creates one with the same IP, I presume you are
seeing that it will return a pointer to the same object? That
there will never be two NSHosts with the same IP?

|   Dale Amon                  Immortal Data                    |
|   CEO             Midland International Air and Space Port    |
| amon@vnl.com       "Data Systems for Deep Space and Time"     |