dmca-activists

[DMCA-Activists] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] STOP Foreign RIAA Music Monopoly

From: IBSHQ
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] STOP Foreign RIAA Music Monopoly
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 06:40:55 EDT

Good Morning Erik,

You do realize that not ONE PENNY
of all the money collected by
RIAA Sound Exchange under “confidential”
DMCA Copyright Agreements made
with CPB-NPR/RIAA since 1998 has
been paid to ANY Artist, or small label!
RIAA has NOT PAID one cent of DMCA
money collected to Artists, or small labels.

Even Federal Tax dollars collected
from Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB)
in a secret CPB/RIAA agreement were never
paid to Artists and small labels.  Although
Steve Marks, RIAA Attorney says, they are
thinking about it.

RIAA has little credibility with members
of Congress, or others that know what
they are doing.  Let your member of
Congress know that you are concerned
about your tax dollars being collected by
a foreign controlled monopoly and not
being paid to Artists, as per law, and
you may see action!

When Congress realizes RIAA/ Sound Exchange
are expanding their music delivery systems
(NAPSTER/ VUNET, etc.)
owned by BIG FIVE (nearly 90% of RIAA) and
that most (4 out of 5) are foreign headquartered
in Japan and Europe and they are using their
DMCA foreign monopoly power to shut down hundreds
of competing small webcasters you will see action.

Hundreds of educational webcasters (radio stations)
have been and are being shut down by RIAA monopoly
rates and rules that the Copyright Office may
well rubber stamp by June 20, 2002, under DMCA.

RIAA, the monopoly monster, is without organized
competition.  The foreign controlled BIG FIVE
have achieved a virtual monopoly (nearly 90%)
of revenues.  "Any (Artists/ Labels)
that disassociate, create a new entity, ..."
will be crushed by RIAA monopoly.
RIAA/ Sound Exchange has withheld
their DMCA copyright fee payments
and built/ bought competing music
delivery systems to webcasters.

Fritz Kass
Intercollegiate Broadcasting System (IBS)
with 62 continuous years of service to
educational broadcasters and webcasters.
http://www.ibsradio.org
address@hidden
367 Windsor Highway, New Windsor, NY 12553
With 773 educational broadcast members
(95% of active educational webcasters)

In a message dated 5/28/02 4:03:18 AM, address@hidden writes:

<< >But ... ONLY FIVE Members of RIAA
>are causing the DMCA problems.

While there is some logic to what you say, I need to respectfully disagree.
Anyone associated with the RIAA is inherently supporting its methods.  Any
that disassociate, create a new entity, and present principles in support of
the public interest and artists might no longer be part of the problem.
Until then, their mass in numbers alone helps to give RIAA credibility among
other assets boasting the power of the RIAA.

The people should instead seek to identify and reward two other groups:

    - labels not part of the RIAA and holding "internet friendly" principles
    - artists that haven't signed

Artists and labels that are NOT in one of these two groups are part of the
problem.  A successful boycott to whom we choose to give those purchases in
addition to whom we don't give those purchases.  The dividing line should be
clear.

Rewarding other labels associated with the RIAA will do injustice to the
those that don't associate, and artists that don't sign.  It will also
divert dollars that could be used to build up a business model capable of
mooting the RIAA.  Let's make this not just about a boycott, but a high
redirection of our purchasing dollars towards our heroes.

Erik