dmca-activists

[DMCA-Activists] RE: [DMCA_Discuss] STOP Foreign RIAA Music Monopoly

From: Erik Sliman
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] RE: [DMCA_Discuss] STOP Foreign RIAA Music Monopoly
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 13:44:43 -0400

Very true, and very sad.  Undoubtedly, pointing out that 90% of RIAA revenue is
generated from foreign controlled media certainly helps the cause.  This is one
of the points we must stress in helping people understand the picture.

I am not so sure that every congressmen is open to this tune, because foreign
control is what WIPO is all about.  They have been told that the DMCA, which
would permit a lot of foreign control, is a tradeoff that will be more than
paid for when we can reign in countries like China.  It is well understood that
DMCA is a weakening posture designed to lead other countries to open up,
strengthening US control there.  The primary beneficiary is presumed to be
Hollywood.  WIPO is supposed to increase their exports.

Thus, congress may not be all that surprised to learn that our music industry
has become largely foreign controlled.  What will disappoint them is if it does
not eventually increase the profits of Hollywood, their primary constituent.

Personally, I hardly consider rewarding Hollywood a high US priority.  They
have bastardized art, commercializing it into spectacular sequences of
predictability appreciated most by an eight year old.  Their influence on
mainstream America has been degrading, slowly draining the American spirit.  I
hardly see prospering them as highly beneficial to most Americans.

The predicted growth in revenue from tightening laws in China is nowhere near
the value of the freedom, culture and public interests we are losing in return.
 It is nothing but an incremental increase in wealth, concentrated in
Hollywood.

It will rely on a corrupt Chinese government to further oppress and torture
their citizens to increase the revenues of Hollywood.  Whereas criminalization
of human behavior here is a sad trend, there it is a catastrophe.  Profit off
human suffering seems to have been the status quo of the Chinese communist
government for some time.  We are merely encouraging them to further ciminalize
human behavior, subjecting more innocent people to suffering in Chinese labor
camps for their support of freedom and democracy.

It will be hard to convince a congress that foreign control is an unintended
side effect of the DMCA when that is indeed what it was created to do.  It is
still worth bringing it up to your congressmen.  It certainly can't hurt.
Perhaps they will be one of the few to be surprised or a little concerned that
their constituents aren't happy about it.  There's also the possibility that
Hollywood hasn't funded the career of every congressman, although don't put it
past Hollywood to donate to your representative's coffers as soon as they start
to turn a sympathetic ear to the people.

I still call or fax my congressmen on current issues.  Such simple tasks should
never be ignored even if we are resolved to do much more.

What is clear from our battle with encryption export rules is that this is a
call to battle that must spread throughout the Internet, using every possible
angle, device and tool.

Something is new this time around...

The Internet has grown tremendously since 1995, meaning that our ability to use
it as a tool to organize and inform is vastly greater than it was when we
vigorously fought the encryption and other battles, battles where our stamina
proved key to victory.  This puts us in the winning position, and we must know
this!  History does not tell us how to leverage this unprecedented availability
of rapid global communication, nor can it define our limits.  Therefore, anyone
who says it was tried before denies the truth that this point in the Internet's
growth is unmatched, far greater than it was just a few years ago.  It is
impossible that any attempt in the past could have included such a powerful
tool of the people.  To think of all the victories of the 90s because of the
Internet nonetheless boasts of what a great opportunity we have today!

The people must use this to regain control of our representatives!  If we
don't, the very tool that currently enables us to do this will be taken from
us.

The victories of the 90s shows that there is a lot of hope.  Let's show the
world that The People are the ones who matter, and the politicians and
corporations are here to serve the purposes of The People!

Erik