dmca-activists

Re: [DMCA-Activists] Activism and NY Copyright Stakeholders vs NY Fair U

From: The Guttersnipe
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] Activism and NY Copyright Stakeholders vs NY Fair Use
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:49:18 +0100 (BST)

 I do imagine that this dispute is of extreme significance to those
involved, but many of us are not involved whatsoever. Perhaps each of
us can speak as individuals, and pass information along in that manner.
Much information has been handed out by both sides, and I am thankful
for that, but this dispute is ongoing and should be handled elsewhere.
I subscribe to read about DMCA issues and that is all.
 Best regards, the guttersnipe!

 --- Seth Finkelstein <address@hidden> wrote: >         I would like to
submit the following thought for consideration
> to those who are reflexively attacking the disputants:
>
>       If you sneer at injustice when it faces you, how in the world
> can you expect anyone else to respect your activism?
>
>       This is a very deep, serious, question. If you say, "Get a life
> you losers! Shut up! Go away!", then what do you say to anyone who
> then turns around and says to *you*, about the DMCA, "Get a life you
> losers! Shut up! Go away!". After all, the RIAA works very hard to
> portray the DMCA opposition as a bunch of kiddie thieves who are
> upset
> that they can't steal from artists, and need to grow up and stop
> whining about not being able be freeloaders.
>
>       Simplistically flaming both parties simply helps the one who
> has done wrong. It doesn't aid the cause in any way.
>
>       The NY Copyright Stakeholders vs NY Fair Use argument is a bunch
> of *"intellectual property"* charges. There is supreme irony in that.
>
> --
> Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  address@hidden
> http://sethf.com
> Anticensorware Investigations - http://sethf.com/anticensorware/
> Seth Finkelstein's Infothought blog -
> http://sethf.com/infothought/blog/

=====
The time to speak up is now! Free Speech is slipping away
http://www.eff.org/cafe/

Freedom to think, Freedom to share, Freedom to change the future, Free Software
http://www.gnu.org, http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/

In this entropic Universe, live a negentropic life with ever expanding moments
of epiphany!

It's Samaritans' Week. Help Samaritans help others.
Call 08709 000032 to give or donate online now at
http://www.samaritans.org/support/donations.shtm