dmca-activists

[DMCA-Activists] Re: NY Arena Outreach, 5/17/03 and 5/10/03

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Re: NY Arena Outreach, 5/17/03 and 5/10/03
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 22:05:19 -0400

Anatoly Volynets wrote:

> Hi Seth,
> I wonder who the volunteers are? In terms of occupation,
> education and age?
> Do they continue to do something?

Yes, they continue.  Street outreach is fundamental.  We recruit volunteers
continually.

We have trained many volunteers, from many walks of life.  We use written
down tools so our practice is transferable and can therefore be reproduced
and expanded.  We do "on-the-job training," so there really isn't a
significant education barrier.  In age, typically mid-college up to mid
30's.  Occupation is also not something that stands in the way, though it is
true that information professionals are the ones who most quickly "get it."
One of the important things is to pitch everyone, because you really do want
to expand your base and your constituency.  We are continually surprised by
the response we get from all sorts of people.

The key is to show effective practice in motion to those who are looking for
something that works.  That's how you recruit organizers and build
leadership.  You actually basically are preaching to the converted, and you
spend as little time as necessary trying to convince and convert
non-buyers.  We pitch people from the outset to take on roles, and this sets
the expectation for what the movement calls for.  We probably have
established between 5 and 10 very dependable vols at this point, who take up
roles and understand that what's needed is people who are in place and ready
to act.  The biggest impediment to our efforts is the personal economic
obstacles -- I have just returned from an imposed break from organizing
(very likely briefly), because of the pressure of seeking personal
employment.

I like your set of principles for discussion, below!  :-)

Seth