dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]some more thoughts

From: Jeremy Petzold
Subject: Re: [Auth]some more thoughts
Date: 17 Jul 2001 09:37:53 -0700

I think that that is the general direction the project is taking, however, I
belive that it will turn into somthing that anyone could build and run, minus
the Auth servers, I don't see how you could have an auth server that is run by
the guy trying to get access, but the databank can be run on a homegrown server
or a leased space from a web host, then the person just needs to register with
the Auth system so that he can start tuse his information. as long as the auth
system and the Data system are seperate we can retain the freedom of the people
who use it, passport bundles both the auth and Databank servers together and
that is where the lack of freedom is.

On Tue, 17 July 2001, Keith Geffert wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I know were trying to minimize this kind of banter, but I haven't gotten my
> 1.252 cents in yet.
>

> My thoughts on dotGNU
>

> I've been reading all the comments and suggestions from the list and have
> formulated some of my own ideas that I think should be discussed.
>
> 1)  Basic dotGNU auth system should be as small as possible.  Why?  So that
> it is suitable to be implemented on small devices: Pda's, cell phones, and
> other things that haven't been introduced into the consumer market that will
> eventually be connected to the internet.  You may not be shopping from your
> cell phone, but I could imagine a dotGNU address book that you may want to
> access from your phone.  You could also "surf" wap sites with your cell based
> websystem (cellphone/webpad) and have access to all the compliment of sites
> you have access with your primary device.
>
> 2)  Hooks for various authentication systems like a password secret, smart
> card, digital certificates, and biometrics.  This allows a user to have
> multiple ways of accessing their profile(s) from various devices with varying
> degrees of access.  You may need a strong cert to update your credit card
> info, or give a website access to your credit card info, but only a password
> for your email address.  This should also be configurable by the user.  The
> user gets to choose how strong of an authentication is required for various
> items in thier profile(s).
>
> 3)  After reading all the arguments back and forth, I think storing your
> profile on a 24/7 connection is the best choice for a few basic reasons.
>   a)  providing info from a client system requires a trust relationship to be
> built from the client to the dotGNU application your trying to give info to.
>
>   b)  Having your virtual identitie(s) stored on a service provider allows
> you to give permission to sites to have access to information.  They now do
> not need to that information (indefinitely).  They merely need to store the
> pointer to your profile (and cache the actual data to increase optimization
> -- which actually could happen in the dotGNU api).
>
>   c)  Using (b) above, if you change information in your profile it changes
> for everyone that has rights to view that information.
>
>   d)  As an extention, an address book could be created in your profile as
> well as bookmarks/hotlists.  These merely being pointers to the acutal URI's
> (don't know if that's the right term).
>
>   e) Small devices could use a technique like (d) to give you access to your
> stored address book. This would obliterate the need to syncronize or download
> your local database to devices that may not have enough storage space to hold
> it anyway.  The devices uses only the parts that it would need.
>
>   f)  Transferring your profile from device to device becomes irrelevant.
> You could use a system at say the public library to authenticate to your
> [...]

Regards,

Jeremy
http://www.shopping.altavista.com