dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]some more thoughts

From: Keith Geffert
Subject: Re: [Auth]some more thoughts
Date: 17 Jul 2001 14:03:51 -0400

On 17 Jul 2001 09:37:53 -0700, Jeremy Petzold wrote:
> I think that that is the general direction the project is
> taking, however, I belive that it will turn into somthing that anyone
> could build and run, minus the Auth servers, I don't see how you could
> have an auth server that is run by the guy trying to get access, but >
> the databank can be run on a homegrown server or a leased space from a
> web host, then the person just needs to register with the Auth system
> so that he can start tuse his information. as long as the auth system
> and the Data system are seperate we can retain the freedom of the > >
> people who use it, passport bundles both the auth and Databank servers
> together and that is where the lack of freedom is.

I could see in the future where that "guy" could be trusted and what I
was proposing itself doesn't preculde that extension from happening.

I do think the virutal identity server will have to be linked to the
auth server in such a way that keeps it in the same zone of trust. I
would also hope we compartmentalize the system to the exent that the
acutal data stores can be behind a firewall and even on a private
network.  Thereby making it that much more difficult to breach security.

As far as freedom and passport.  I think you made an understatement.