dotgnu-auth

[Auth]Account field

From: Ron Burk
Subject: [Auth]Account field
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 23:35:16 -0700

> except that you will need standard
> names for data fields like "Name", "Account", "Password",
> and so on. Does anyone doubt that assumption?

Only the "Account" field bothers me as it seems to indicate a single
point of control for any access. Please explain how one entity can
control an account, without compromising the privacy, integrity, or
freedom of a Customer's data.

I casually used "Account" to refer to a string that
a web site uses to uniquely identify (but not authenticate)
me from all its other customers. This is, variously,
an email address, a social security number, a customer-invented
string, a web-site invented string, and probably other
things as well.

I don't actually know the answer to your question; I'm guessing
you're assuming something I'm not, or envisioning something
I don't understand. I currently keep all my "account" names
on a piece of paper and have to endlessly enter them manually.
With the simplest single logon scheme, I would simply be storing
them in an encrypted local file instead of on paper, and my
client software would relieve me from ever having to type
them in again; it would deliver them to the appropriate web
sites, under whatever conditions I configured it to do so.
Ron Burk
HighTechInfo.com, www.hightechinfo.com