Re: [DotGNU]Internet C++

From: Keith Poole
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Internet C++
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 19:29:02 +0100

I was just looking at the .GNU website (http://www,gnu.org/projects/dotgnu) and saw this bullet point:

* Adapt GCC to so that it can, from all its supported languages, generate portable executables for the DotGNU platform. We have found that it is extremely difficult to adapt gcc to generating code for stack-based VMs. So maybe the way to go is invent a new (more register-based) virtual machine, and add support for it to the DotGNU platform. One thing I was wondering, couldn't we take an architecture, remove any restrictions that are placed on it because it's implemented in hardware, and use that? The changes to gcc would be smaller.

For example, choosing the SPARC processor which is open, and partially stack based anyway (i.e. rolling stack frame of registers), give each thread of execution in the VM its own register stack, and remove the architected maximum of 32 frames (make it infinite) and use this? Also, there are other open source processors which mayh be useable - but I don't know enough about them to comment.

Keith Poole