Re: [DotGNU]Gnome to be based on .NET

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Gnome to be based on .NET
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 09:54:45 +1000

"William G. Thompson, Jr." wrote:

> I've been lurking here for quite some time, and I must say I really don't
> get it.  Why would anyone concerned with Freedom and Free Software
> waste cycles helping to further the dubious agenda coming out of
> Redmond ?!?!

DotGNU is intended to provide a credible alternative to the
stuff coming out of Redmond so that another generation of
programmers and users don't end up getting locked into yet
another monopoly.  This won't "further" the agenda so much
as keep them honest about it.

The GNU Project always had the goal of building a free
alternative to Unix.  For many years, they were "wasting cycles"
replicating what the commercial Unices were doing to further
their own dubious agendas.  In the end, GNU won.  The
commercial Unices are dying off one by one in the face
of GNU/Linux.

Cheers,

Rhys.

P.S. www.japple.org crashes my GNU/Linux Netscape 4.72
browser dead.  I had to use IE on Windows to view it.
Could you please fix your Web site to be friendlier to
browsers that are commonly used on free operating systems?