Re: [DotGNU]Gnome to be based on .NET

From: Jakob Praher
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Gnome to be based on .NET
Date: 02 Feb 2002 17:38:56 +0100

Am Sam, 2002-02-02 um 17.09 schrieb Philipp Haller:
> > On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Bill Lance wrote:
>
> > Java won't bind you to Solaris like .Net will bind you to windoze.
> >
> > No one would argue that Sun couldn't do better vis-a-vis the Free
> > Software community, but they _are_ shipping JDK/JRE for Linux, Solaris,
> > and Windoze. You won't see Microsoft doing that.
> >
> > We can focus our energies to solve the problem of how to build, deploy,
> > and maintain web apps and services faster, easier, and more efficiently,
> > or we can spend cycles porting a technology who's creator has one thing
> > in mind; creating platform dependant users.
>
> Yes, Java is a nice platform and you can build powerful apps and services
> very fast. But Java is still not free and thus can never be integrated into
> GNU/Linux systems like the traditional GNU tool chain which would add to its
> power.
> Microsoft realized (at least this time) that a language independant approach
> based on a runtime system comparable to the Java VM really *is* good for
> development.
> Why not build our own free GPLed C# compiler/runtime system? Then we can
> really do whatever we want to (just like with gcc etc.) and don't ask Sun for
> permission to implement a subset of Java 2.

While agreeing with you that java is not free as platform, I think we
sould not make the mistake and go only towards a copy of the M$
platform.

I think we should give all those java users and those that doing great
free software on top of java, which I think we should not forget in this
discussion, give the opportunity to work in a pure free environment too.

So my vision is, like the one of many others in this list, that both
platforms should be *equally* supported.
And I think that there is enough sinergy to accomplish this.

Personally, what I don't like on the article Miguel was giving, and on
that with him and M$DN, is that he is too much on the technocratic side,
the side on which M$ is laying their arguments.
- I think we don't *need* a .NET plattform to develop a better GNOME or
better Webservices, it is just that Microsoft abuses this arguments for
their right to world domination.

just my 2 cents