Re: [DotGNU]Gnome to be based on .NET

From: William G. Thompson, Jr.
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Gnome to be based on .NET
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 09:54:35 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Bill Lance wrote:

> --- "William G. Thompson, Jr." <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> >.  This is what Japple
> > does.  And it does this
> > _now_.  I'm saying we can cut m$ off at the pass.
> >

> What's the difference between Microsoft's agenda and
> Sun's agenda?

Java won't bind you to Solaris like .Net will bind you to windoze.

No one would argue that Sun couldn't do better vis-a-vis the Free
Software community, but they _are_ shipping JDK/JRE for Linux, Solaris,
and Windoze. You won't see Microsoft doing that.

We can focus our energies to solve the problem of how to build, deploy,
and maintain web apps and services faster, easier, and more efficiently,
or we can spend cycles porting a technology who's creator has one thing
in mind; creating platform dependant users.

I choose the former.  You will make your own choice.

But think about it for a minute.  CLS is really just a smoke screen.  What
users will really care about is build apps _fast_.  Microsoft will capture
these folks with VisualStudio and ASP.net, and these have as much of a
chance of being open as MSOffice has of being ported to a non-Microsoft OS.

> I would think it better to interoperate with both of
> them, them eat them.

Interoperate using XML over HTTP...that is what web services is all about,
right?

Cheers,
Bill Thompson
Chief Japple Evangelist