Re: [DotGNU]Accessing parent class members from nested classes

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Accessing parent class members from nested classes
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 08:48:52 +1000

Gopal V wrote:

> Hi Rhys,
>         Seems like a bug in the verifier for accessing the parent
> class members from a nested class ...

Nope.  A bug in the compiler.  That code should not have
compiled at all.  It is in error.

The "foo" variable is not "static", so it cannot be accessed
from within B unless B inherits from A, which it doesn't.
If you add "static" to the declaration, or access "foo"
relative to an instance of A (i.e. "a.foo"), the code runs
fine with no verifier errors.

MS'es compiler gives an error on this code.  I'll track
down why cscc didn't.

> PS: /me marks up 2 bugs for emeow-v2 ... great going !..

/me marks up two bug fixes shot down because they are wrong.

Sorry.

Cheers,

Rhys.