Re: Re[2]: [DotGNU]Doubts about C@

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [DotGNU]Doubts about C@
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:18:11 +0530

If memory serves me right, Pavel Goran wrote:
> GV> As far as I could understand C@ is the dotgnu embrace & extend edition
> GV> of C# ... with support for Multiple Inheritance , Private/Public
> GV> inheritance and maybe a lot of simple things which makes life a lot
> GV> easier ....
>
> And  what  about  templates? Or they are too difficult to introduce in
> the existing language and/or implementation?

Generics have been too complicated for me to understand properly ... But
I guess having that kind of type safety is a good thing .. It might be
complicated to do it using just IL.. But I think we could implement
Generics in basic IL with an extra bit of hair pulling ... I used to
think that the synthetic types for arrays comes very near what dynamic code
could do ... ie generate the new code at the callsite .. like the
generated '<T1>' and '<D1>' classes , which are generated as per the
type of the array declared ... But it is beyond me to say whether such
a model to implement templates is possible or not ..

C@ will be going into the design phase right now ... It is Peter Minten's
brain child.... So this is what I could glean from the irc meetings.

Gopal