[DotGNU]C@ templates (was Re: Doubts about C@)

From: S11001001
Subject: [DotGNU]C@ templates (was Re: Doubts about C@)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:11:07 -0500

Peter Minten wrote:
I don't know generics, but if Gopal doubts that it can be done in standard IL
then it's certainly too complicated for me to write a compiler for :-).

Well, this is just like the C++ template situation. There's no feasible way to make object files out of templates; as a result, template source code must always be present to instantiate those templates. This means that it's purely up to the compiler; there is no way to handle it directly in IL.

BTW, this is why we have a free STL from the manufacturers, because they couldn't close the source.

--
Stephen Compall
DotGNU `Contributor' -- http://dotgnu.org

Free Software is all about dignity. This dignity is what makes the
whole thing different.  It changes the relationship from subservient
user and all-powerful creator (even if you're a developer) to an
egalitarian relationship.
        -- Barry Fitzgerald