dotgnu-pnet

Re: [Pnet-developers] Bad Substitution Error

From: Glenn Chambers
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Bad Substitution Error
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 11:13:20 -0400

On Tuesday, May 17, 2005, at 09:40 AM, address@hidden wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to .NET and wanted to play around with Portable .NET on Solaris, but I'm having problems installing it. I got through configure, make, and
make check, but when I make install, I'm getting the following error
message...

a="/usr/local/bin/cli-unknown-ar"; b=.${a%/*}/b; c="/usr/ccs/bin/ar";
d=.${c%/*}//; e=; \
  while [ ."$b" != ."b" ]; do b=${b#*/}; e=../$e; done;         \
/bin/sh: bad substitution

It looks as though the Makefile's shell fragment isn't sufficiently portable. Some versions of the Solaris shells are known to be 'weak'. This comes up on the GCC mailing lists from time to time, and I think the install notes there mention the need to use a non-default shell when configuring and installing
GCC.

Try setting the SHELL environment variable to the full path to 'ksh', whatever it is (Probably /bin/ksh). If that doesn't work, try installing 'bash' and setting that. I don't have a pnet checkout handy at the moment, so I can't verify that setting the environment variable is enough; you may have to set
the SHELL parameter in the Makefile instead.

Glenn Chambers
Toledo, OH