dotgnu-pnet

Re: [Pnet-developers] Bad Substitution Error

From: Glenn Chambers
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Bad Substitution Error
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 17:50:22 -0400

On Wednesday, May 18, 2005, at 03:16 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Thanks Glenn,

I got it working! But I have another question (I'm not sure if I can just
ask it or if I should send another e-mail...but I'm going to ask it
anyways...) When I try to run the sample programs in pnetlib/samples I'm
getting the following error...

Uncaught exception: Xsharp.XCannotConnectException: Cannot open display
        at Xsharp.Display.OpenInternal(String, Application, Boolean) in
./Display.cs:223
        at Xsharp.Display.Open(String, Application, Boolean) in
./Display.cs:253
        at Xsharp.Application..ctor(String, String[]) in
./Application.cs:257
        at XHello.Main(String[]) in ./XHello.cs:29

I don't have something set up right, and I'm not sure what it is. (If this
is a very trivial thing and a rather dumb question I'll apologize in
advance.)  I've configured/make/make install pnetlib with no errors.

Thanks for all your help so far!
Theresa

This looks like an X-windows problem. Is your DISPLAY variable set properly? (You have to be running an X server to run the XHello program, which may not
be immediately obvious.)  If you're running the examples as a different
user than is running the X server, you'll have to do an 'xhost' command to open up access to the server. I'm on my MacOS box at the moment, so I don't have the commands handy. "xhost +" opens it up to *everyone*, so if you're
in a trusted environment, that should work.

A quick way to confirm that X is set up right is to type 'xterm' in the command window you're trying to run the samples in. If it opens up a terminal window,
you've got it right.  If it errors out, that may give you a better lead.

I'm cc'ing the list to put this into the public archives so people googling
for similar issues can see the advice and your results.

Glenn Chambers
Toledo, OH