dotgnu-sc

[Dotgnu-sc] Re: dotgnu.org registered to a domain name squatter :-(

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: [Dotgnu-sc] Re: dotgnu.org registered to a domain name squatter :-(
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:44:38 +0200

> Norbert Bollow <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I propose that this process should be pursued in the name of the FSF (so
> > that when successful, the FSF will be domain name holder of dotgnu.org)
> >
> > Who will work on this?
>
> We may have a way to pursue it from the point of view of FSF.  FSF is
> working out the details on our GNU trademark, however, they are still up
> in the air.

Saying that "dotgnu.org" is a common law trademark owned by the
GNU project (and providing corresponding evidence on how we've
been using the domain) should be good enough for purposes of
UDRP.

I have a client who had lost nikonusers.org to a squatter, and
who managed to get the domain back through UDRP with this kind
of argument.  If we have to go through UDRP, I'll ask him for
more detains of his experience.

> I suggest that someone immediately get in touch with the squatter,
> explain that we are a volunteer project that made a mistake, and ask
> nicely to get it back.

Good advice, and carried out very well by Barry.

Hey, I'm glad about having hooked up with you folks :-)

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Founder & Steering Committee member of http://www.gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet     (near Zurich, Switzerland)