dragora-users

Re: [Dragora-users] reduce cost?

From: Jing Luo
Subject: Re: [Dragora-users] reduce cost?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 00:08:36 +0900

On 2024-01-08 21:19, Matías Fonzo wrote:
El 2024-01-08 00:51, Jing Luo via Dragora-users escribió:
[...]

Also, the paypal no-login donation doesn't work for me: I have credit cards in two countries (China and Japan), when I choose either of them, paypal says "Donations to this recipient aren't supported in this country"

I ask, the PayPal no-login option from where?. From what I understand you need to be logged into paypal to operate it, am I wrong?. I wonder if this is a problem with PayPal or an outdated code from the Dragora donation section.

After I click on the donate button, paypal gives me two options: login, or "use credit/debit card". If I choose "use credit/debit card", and select country China or Japan, it will return error, but selecting "United States" or "Argentina" seems OK. I guess some countries are blocked from donation. Anyway, I have a US paypal account and I used my credit card, it worked.

On the other hand, I think I may be able to help reduce the cost. Is dragora.org costing much money? I can host it "pro gratis". I host repo.jing.rocks the mirror site (and other sites) using my home servers (in Japan), if you want, I can set up a few VMs and give you ssh access. I have many GBs of memory and TBs of storage available. If dragora's DNS server costs money, I can also set up name servers.

This sounds very good!

The renovation of the site is set for 2023-03-01. I just checked and the value in Argentinian pesos will be 40545.55(ARS), considering the conversion to the CURRENT dollar value, it would come out:

    50 USD (rounded).

1 ARS = 0,00123113 USD
1 USD = 812,259 ARS

With inflation in the country, it is expensive for us.

I actually have no idea how much 40 mil pesos means to you, but I traveled to Buenos Aires in 2019, it was 1 USD =~ 30 ARS.

My "only condition" would be that if you set up a server, I would not want to maintain a web server (manually) because of the time it might take to set it up and keep it up to date. (I don't know how much time I would have to do this.)

If you already have a scheme set up, then I think there will be no problem uploading the website there. :-)

No problem! I can manage web servers for you. Should we move the conversation off the mailing list?

[...]
I also forgot to mention that I use email for this address, if this is not possible I would have no problem changing the address to my secondary email address hosted on riseup.net.

No problem, besides web servers, I also self host my mail servers. This can be set up very easily I think. But I see on Jan 4, my mail server retried many times to deliver email to your address, I wonder if I can directly reach you outside the mailing list.

--
Jing Luo
About me: https://jing.rocks/about/