Re: [Duplicity-talk] how to tell duplicity to NOT sign (want to encrypt

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] how to tell duplicity to NOT sign (want to encrypt to public key only)
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:44:21 -0500

Andrew Kohlsmith (lists) wrote:
> Good afternoon, list,
>
> I'm trying now to get Duplicity to encrypt with a public key.   I have my own
> private/public keypair in my GPG keyfile, and Duplicity seems adamant to sign
> the backup if it finds a private key.
>
> I am using the following to encrypt (EAF7ACB0 is a public key)
> # duplicity --encrypt-key EAF7ACB0 /etc
> file:///var/data/duplicity/mixdown.ca-etc
>
> The idea is to avoid having to provide a passphrase; I know I can supply it
> with an environment variable, but I don't want to sign this archive.

Just because it asks for a passphrase does not mean its going to sign
it, for that you need --sign-key.  It needs the passphrase in this case
because it defaults to an incremental backup (it switches to full when
it detects no previous backups).  In order to do the incremental it has
to be able to decrypt pieces of the previous backup, thus the request
for the passphrase.

...Ken