[Duplicity-talk] Duplicity crashes on locked files (windows)

From: Georg Lutz
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity crashes on locked files (windows)
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:37:36 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

duplicity just said me that it has probably a bug. :-)

As I cannot access savannahs bug tracker, because our company firewall
thinks that savannah has "evil" software downloads I file it here.

I am using 0.5.14 on Windows XP Pro/cygwin. I found the crash when
duplicity tried to backup my - probably locked - pst file of outlook.

The bug can be reproduced under Windows when Outlook is opened and
duplicity tries to access an opened pst-file. But I think with other
software which locks files it can reproduced too. The command line I used
was:

duplicity \
--archive-dir /cygdrive/f/backups/duplicity/archive \
--log-file /cygdrive/d/temp/duplicity_log.txt \
--volsize 2000 --encrypt-key 9E94B21D --sign-key 275ADCCB \
--verbosity debug \
   --include '/cygdrive/d/Documents and Settings/GeLutz/Local
Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook/archiv.pst' \
   --exclude '**' \
   '/cygdrive' \
   file:///cygdrive/f/backups/duplicity/data

An compressed version of duplicity_log.txt is attached to this email.

I understand that some locking mechanisms under windows could prevent
files from being saved, but nevertheless duplicity should not crash but
just skip this particular file.

Regards
   Georg