Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity crashes on locked files (windows)

From: Georg Lutz
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity crashes on locked files (windows)
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 17:19:05 +0200 (CEST)

> I'll agree with that.  Do they block all OSS sites, or just some?

They don't block especially OSS sites. They block sites where "software
can be downloaded". And because downloaded software can cause harm it is
evil to do so. Interestingly sourceforge.net is not blocked, so its not
very consistent...

At one of my former working places internet ("WWW" in manager speak) was
cut off completely as default setting and one have to argue why he would
need internet access at all. This was the company wide IT policy. For 1 MB
traffic my departement had to pay 0,5 EUR to the IT departement. The same
guys also completely blocked zip files in emails for "security reasons"
but let through powerpoint presentations. As you can imagine it was not
funny to work there... Compared to that the current situation is like in
paradise...

> I'm going to have to dig into this a bit further.  It looks like Windows
> will let you open the file, but then not access it, not good.  I'll have
> to apply the same checks further into the process.  I'll open a bug
> report on this.  For now, just --exclude=**.pst and back it up to a
> different file extension before duplicity.

I just reproduced it and attached a logfile which comes out of processmon,
a tool like strace on windows, formerly developed by sysinternals (now
M$). I attached both - CVS text file and the native PML format.

It seems like you explained - one can open the file but not access it. BTW
the crash can also be reproduced with opened Excel or OOWrite files.

Regards
    Georg