Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity crashes on locked files (windows)

From: Georg Lutz
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity crashes on locked files (windows)
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 10:05:53 +0200 (CEST)

> Kenneth Loafman wrote:
>> Georg Lutz wrote:
>>> As I cannot access savannahs bug tracker, because our company firewall
>>> thinks that savannah has "evil" software downloads I file it here.
>>
>> Not an Open Source shop I take it?  Don't get yourself into trouble
>> using duplicity.  Jobs are hard to find nowadays.

Hi Ken,

well, the job is not so bad. :-) We heavily use Open Source tools for our
build system and in some core services for developers. Unfourtunately this
seems not to be realized among some responsible managers... I cannot
really complain about restricted internet access - I have already "worked"
at much more restricted sites. The problem is that the "Blue Coat Web
Filter" has really stupid default settings...

But I don't think that I run into much trouble by using duplicity. In fact
the only reason I would like to use duplicity is that our IT staff is not
able to provide reliable backup for our locally stored working space and
documents. :-( Recently our team got a 1TB external HD for this purpose,
but we are totally on our own on how to use it.

Up to now the external HD is not heavily used by team members because it
is not seen as reliable and safe, especially as it is connected to our
boss' workstation :-) and everbody in our team can access all data. And
nobody wants to store his plain files on this HD. Some started to use
truecrypt containers, but this is not really a good backup solution.

So I needed something which supports this situation with help of
encryption and signatures. My plan is to roll-out it in our team as backup
solution. :)

> Attached is a patch that fixes this problem.  If the file is locked, or
> otherwise unavailable, you will get an error message and duplicity will
> continue onwards.

Thank you for your quick response. I applied the patch. But unfourtunately
the same error arrises, see attached log.

Regards
   Georg