[Duplicity-talk] restore from incremental backup before last full backup

From: Philip Jocks
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] restore from incremental backup before last full backup
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:04:37 +0200

Hi,

I'm doing weekly full backups every Sunday and incrementals on any other day like this:

/usr/local/bin/duplicity [full] --encrypt-key 'A' --encrypt-key 'B' --sign-key 'B' \ --include-globbing-filelist /usr/local/etc/duplicity_filelist -- exclude '**' / \
scp://address@hidden/path

After a successful backup I use

/usr/local/bin/duplicity remove-older-than 7D --force scp:// address@hidden/path

to get rid of old backup files.

I know, there's "remove-all-but-n-full", but my setup is from before that option and I didn't get around changing it, because "remove-older- than 7D" does the trick as well, because no full backup is deleted if incrementals depend on it. So I thought... Today, I wanted to restore a file from last Wednesdays backup, that would be an incremental depending on the last but one full backup:

duplicity restore -t 2009-07-22 --file-to-restore /path/to/local/ file scp://address@hidden/path /path/to/local/file_2009-07-22

and get:

/path/to/local/file not found in archive, no files restored.

It seems, doing a second full backup renders the full backup before that useless, am I right? If I am, the files, should still be there, is there a way to recover from the difftar files manually?

Cheers,

Philip