Re: [Duplicity-talk] restore from incremental backup before last full ba

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] restore from incremental backup before last full backup
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 08:15:33 -0500

Philip Jocks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm doing weekly full backups every Sunday and incrementals on any other
> day like this:
>
>> /usr/local/bin/duplicity [full] --encrypt-key 'A' --encrypt-key 'B'
>> --sign-key 'B' \
>> --include-globbing-filelist /usr/local/etc/duplicity_filelist
>> --exclude '**' / \
>> scp://address@hidden/path
>
> After a successful backup I use
>
>> /usr/local/bin/duplicity remove-older-than 7D --force
>> scp://address@hidden/path
>
> to get rid of old backup files.
>
> I know, there's "remove-all-but-n-full", but my setup is from before
> that option and I didn't get around changing it, because
> "remove-older-than 7D" does the trick as well, because no full backup is
> deleted if incrementals depend on it. So I thought...
> Today, I wanted to restore a file from last Wednesdays backup, that
> would be an incremental depending on the last but one full backup:
>
>> duplicity restore -t 2009-07-22 --file-to-restore /path/to/local/file
>> scp://address@hidden/path /path/to/local/file_2009-07-22
>
> and get:
>
>> /path/to/local/file not found in archive, no files restored.
>
> It seems, doing a second full backup renders the full backup before that
> useless, am I right?
> If I am, the files, should still be there, is there a way to recover
> from the difftar files manually?

No, the previous full backup is still valid.  It's just not considered
for recovery purposes unless its the last backup.  You will need to move
the last backup chain (last full and its incrementals) out of the way,
do your restore, then put them back.

It is best to keep multiple full sets.  You never know if a data error
on the disk will render a backup set unusable.  Its even better if you
have multiple sets on multiple locations for site disaster recovery.

...Ken