Re: [Duplicity-talk] On replacing tar, why not dar ?

From: Zach Adams
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] On replacing tar, why not dar ?
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 17:16:10 -0500

I'm totally in support of a rewrite with dar, there's already a feature request for librsync support: http://sourceforge.net/p/dar/feature-requests/122
If libdar uses librsync and we can store the checksums locally (in addition to the catalog, isolation is listed on the dar features page) I think most of what's left will be interface and backends.

As a side note I've been wanting to do a rewrite if I ever had the time simply because starting a very large backup on an existing chain can be very slow, and I have to wait several minutes to type in my password (which won't be an issue once I use a gpg key directly, but still). It'd also be nice to add threaded compression and encryption.

This could also be a chance to make duplicity cross platform.

Just my 2 cents,
Zach