Re: [Duplicity-talk] On replacing tar, why not dar ?

From: Scott Hannahs
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] On replacing tar, why not dar ?
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 12:00:45 -0400

librsync has packages on all platforms which makes duplicity cross platform
already.  I looked at libdar and it is not the package of libdar that is the
difficulty but the whole tree of dependencies that need to be built as well.

As the maintainer of the fink package for duplicity under OS X, building the
package with a libdar dependency is not impossible but will take some work.  It
is certainly not a show stopper but this cross platform dependency is not
automatic!

As far as I can tell, there is only a source download for Mac OS X, which is
what fink uses.

I am not arguing agains dar.  It looks interesting and does solve a lot of
issues with an already supported package.  But cross platform is not the
driving difference.

-Scott