dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] RE: Mashita DVD-RAM LF-D310 -- Not "rewrite" DVD-RAM b

From: L. Cranswick
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] RE: Mashita DVD-RAM LF-D310 -- Not "rewrite" DVD-RAM but "record" (fwd)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 15:38:39 +0100 (BST)

> On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 09:39, Lachlan Cranswick wrote:
> > I don't know the correct "technical" answer to this.  I just assumed
> > this was an "accidental" benefit of the way dd works.  I assume(?) "dd"
> > would work this way with any device that the kernal knew
> > was "writable" - or maybe read/writable?
>
> Yes.  I have an older 2.6/5.2GB DVD-RAM drive that has worked in Linux
> since 1998.  That's because it uses the same design as older Panasonic
> PD drives that have been supported for years.
>
> But that's for "Rewrite" aka "random access" mode to DVD-RAM disks.
>
> Can you "Record" aka "write once" to a DVD-R(G) disk (on a 3rd Gen
> DVD-RAM drive) doing the same?

Not tried as I thought DVD-RAM would only work with DVD-RAM
disks?  Or am I totally out of date of what modern DVD-RAM drives
can do?

Lachlan.

--
-----------------------
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
  Birkbeck University of London and Daresbury Synchrotron Laboratory
Postal Address: CCP14 - School of Crystallography,
                Birkbeck College,
                Malet Street, Bloomsbury,
                WC1E 7HX, London,  UK
Tel: (+44) 020 7631 6850   Fax: (+44) 020 7631 6803
E-mail: address@hidden   Room: B091
WWW: http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/