dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] Re: Linux filesystems (not trying to start a flamewar

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Linux filesystems (not trying to start a flamewar) -- WAS: 4GB "limit" is 32-bit POSIX
Date: 02 Jan 2003 04:01:28 -0500

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 03:48, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Same deal with SGI and their XFS releases -- the code is usually in CVS
> for 2-3 months before release for "regression testing" before release.
> And XFS has only has 1 major problem (in 1.0, which was fixed with 1.1)
> since release on Linux.  Also note that SGI _only_ officially supports
> it on RedHat and _no_other_ distro.  On the XFS list I've regularly seen
> people have issues with non-RedHat versions from vendors who "sloppily"
> patch their kernels with XFS rather non-completely. ]

I should also mention that XFS used to require _extensive_ kernel
modification.  That's because a _lot_ of interfaces in Irix, for various
XFS functionality, did _not_ have an equivalent in Linux.  The good news
is that stock 2.5.x has a lot of these from, not surprisingly, the XFS
team (who's heavily influenced the VFS code in 2.5.x).  And many have
been backported to stock 2.4.x VFS as well (outside of the XFS
releases).

In each and every case, the greatest thing about XFS is not so much the
filesystem, but how much SGI "shares."  Everything they are introducing
into the kernel can and is being used by other filesystems!  Why is SGI
doing this?  Because it believes in the GPL license, and the
"protection" it gives.  I know because I regularly see the SGI
developers' commentary when some BSD guy asks, "why don't you release it
BSD?"

Typical answer:  "Because we don't want Sun using it without paying us.
With the GPL, they have to license it from us if they want a commercial
version."

[ God I _hate_ it when people call the GPL "viral."  It's _not_ viral,
it's "pro-commercial" because it forces people to _license_ from the
copyright holder.  The only people who call it viral are the ones who
are "leech"/non-innovative companies -- *COUGH* Microsoft *COUGH*
WindRiver *COUGH* etc... ]

Anyway, enough of my "tangent(s)."

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. (BSECE)       Contact Info:  http://thebs.org