dvdrtools-users

RE: [Dvdrtools-users] video dvd backup

From: Scott Prive
Subject: RE: [Dvdrtools-users] video dvd backup
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 18:08:35 -0500

I have never run `dvdbackup` so I am in the dark to your exact situation.

You *could* try re-running dvdbackup again, and this time tell it NOT to back
the unneeded files. If dvdbackup does any special processing (such as repairing
.IFO file mappings) then it should update the mappings correctly.

Software DVD players are wonderfully tolerant of broken IFO mappings. In this
respect they act like MPEG players and just keep going. If you end up burning
IFO files with broken mappings, it won't play on (most) set top DVD players.

The VIDEO_TS files point to ALL your VTS files. So if you drop out a title set
(say VTS_02_*) be aware that the VIDEO_TS files will still look for them and
you'll have a noncompliant DVD structure. It *may* still play on a set top box
but probably not. To fix THAT, you need something to tweak the VIDEO_TS IFO
files (or re-generate new ones from just your MPEG/VOB files). I don't know how
you would do this under Linux.