dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] Re: Burning a DVD with > 2GB files -- Linux FS != 32-

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Burning a DVD with > 2GB files -- Linux FS != 32-bit limitations
Date: 19 Jan 2003 08:42:26 -0500

William Anderson wrote:
> And what file system.

Er, no, a common misunderstanding.  _All_ Linux filesystems are capable
of >2GB files.

E.g., I was able to create >4GB files on Ext2 filesystems on Linux/Alpha
back in 1998.  64-bit POSIX systems had no such limitations.

The limitation is 100% software.  Specifically, 32-bit POSIX systems
were not designed with various I/O structures to support greater than
32-bit volumes.  That's where "Large File Support" (LFS) comes in:

Linux is full 32-bit POSIX LFS if it has:
  - an LFS kernel
  - an LFS GLibC
  - an LFS application linked to LFS libraries

Also note that:
  - NFS v3 is required to support LFS

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. (BSECE)       Contact Info:  http://thebs.org